Everyone agrees that Memorial Day is the unofficial start of summer! Did you enjoy your Memorial Day weekend? I spent the day driving home from Sacramento, and we got to do a few fun things on the way home too. It was great! Now we are into the busy and fun months of summer. I would like to share with you how the cloud can help you get the most out of your summer. I am assuming you don’t want to be tied to a desk all summer long. Am I right?
Maybe your kids are home for the summer or maybe you have some exciting vacations planned. Either way, summertime lends itself to flexibility. And so does the cloud. Let me tell you about a few real situations where the BBB Team has used the cloud to get stuff done when on the go (or when we need a little flexibility)
- Just the other day I realized I needed to adjust something on my timesheet and I was out of town! What did I do? I accessed my timesheet on my iPad and tada! It was done, and I was no longer stressed about it.
- My dog, (a Corgi) has been going through some major health issues lately. She hurt her back and I have a lot of vet visits to help her (even acupuncture!). Because of working in the cloud, sometimes I take my computer and work on some things while I’m waiting. In fact, I’m writing this in the waiting room right now!
- Cindy shared with me the other day that she was on her way to a dentist appointment but was able to have a chat with an employee that needed help with something on the way to her appointment.
- Jessica is on an annual family vacation this week. But I know that if I message her in Slack she will get back to me (when she has an internet connection).
- Amanda and Cindy are going to Xerocon Atlanta next week. But they both will be available to check Slack, their email and can even work in Xero, if they want to.
Now, of course, you don’t want to go too crazy with this working on-the-go thing. It’s important to truly unplug and I highly suggest you do that this summer. But there are times when you are somewhere in between a vacation and work. You don’t want to be glued to your desk, but maybe you have staff members or a project that you need to be available for. The beauty of working in the cloud is that you can get work done anywhere there is an internet connection. Now that’s pretty cool!
The cloud allows a measure of flexibility that was unheard of even 10 years ago. Gone are the days that you have to drive to someone’s office to do their books and gone are the days of a 9-5 workday. It’s summer! Enjoy your summer. Take your laptop outside and get some fresh air. But don’t forget to take an opportunity to unplug this summer too.