Can you believe it’s already 2018?! I know I can’t. You know you are getting old when you say things like that. But it’s true – time is flying. One thing that I enjoy at the start of a new year is making goals. This year though, I’m trying something new. This year I’m going to have one major goal and just focus on that. Sometimes having lots of goals gets overwhelming and you forget what all your goals are. Has this ever happened to you?
Do you want to join me? Pick one goal for your business and focus on that one goal throughout the year. Let’s use the example of the goal to “make more money”. After all, being profitable is a big part of having a business. So let’s take this goal and think about how we could use it as a theme all year long…
- What does this goal mean to you?
- For example, maybe you want to make more money to be able to invest more into the business, or you want to hire more employees or maybe you want to go on a nice vacation with your family.
- Think about these things and write them down, perhaps on a little post-it note where you can see them.
- What are some steps that you can do to make it happen?
- Set some short-term goals to get to the big goal.
- For example, if your goal is to make more money, set an amount that you would like to make in the first quarter of the year and see how you do. Maybe for the next quarter, you will increase it or even decrease it if it doesn’t work out quite the way you planned. Either way, you have a marker to keep you on track.
- Plan a reward!
- It’s always nice to have something to look forward to! So set a reward to do when you reach your goal.
- For example, you might plan a team dinner if you reach the goal of reaching your goal revenue for the first quarter. Just think how this would get your team extra excited to help you to reach the goal too.
Making and setting goals can be fun! Let’s look forward to 2018 together and make it the best year of our lives.